Introduction to Finance
Access Time: 30 Days
This course introduces the discipline of finance in an organizational setting. Among the basics covered: responsibilities of financial managers; roles of finance in a typical business organization; legal forms of businesses; agency relationships; and relevant financial markets of interest to financial managers. Further, you will explore the five principles that form the foundation of financial management and you will understand the non-financial manager's impact on, and role in, the finance function.
After completing this course, you'll be able to:
- Identify and differentiate the three most common types of business organizations and the structure of each
- State the fundamental objectives of a corporation and the differences between wealth and profit maximization
- Recognize the impact of social and ethical responsibility on business
- Identify and describe the structure and functions of the finance department within an organization
- Define the principal-agent relationship and strategies for overcoming conflicts of interest and motivating managers
- List and define the five key principles that form the foundation of financial management
- Recognize and define the five key financial markets
- Identify the sources, rules, and life-cycle stages of corporate financing
- Describe the function of the stock market and the three trading venues it utilizes
- Recognize the factors related to interest rate determination and the impact of interest on an organization
Preview a few course pages by clicking through the slideshow below:
Target Audience: This course is designed for adult learners and/or non-financial managers.
Level/Prerequisites: Introductory/No Prerequisites
Estimated time to complete: 3-5 hours
Ask the Expert: This course has an "Ask the Expert" feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Required Material: This course does not require any additional purchases of supplementary materials.
Successful Completion Requirement for IACET CEU: Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEU credit. Learners will have three attempts at all graded assessments.