Access Time: 30 Days
This course from MindEdge Learning's National Institute for Online Learning (NIOL) offers a brief survey of the major models, tools, and techniques in teaching online.
The National Institute of Online Learning (NIOL), founded in 2012, seeks to improve the quality and effectiveness of online learning, especially for adult learners, by promoting best practices and innovation in the field.
Preview a few course pages by clicking through the slideshow below:
After completing this module, you should be able to:
- Discuss some of the benefits of online learning for students and instructors
- Describe differences between online and face-to-face classroom teaching
- Explain the role of an online instructor
- Assess your own practices as an online instructor
- Discuss effective ways to lead online discussion
- Describe the Flipped Classroom and blended learning models
- Outline ways to introduce collaborative learning (discussion forums, videoconferencing, Question of the Day, group projects, etc.) into an online program
- Discuss key challenges in online learning and how to handle them
- Describe methods for evaluating and assessing online instruction
- Apply your understanding to case studies
Target Audience: This course is designed for those seeking an overview and introduction to teaching online.
Level/Prerequisites: Introductory/No Prerequisites
Estimated time to complete: 2 hours
Ask the Expert: This course has an "Ask the Expert" feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Required Materials: This course does not require any additional purchases of supplementary materials.
Successful Completion Requirement for IACET CEU: Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEU credit. Learners will have three attempts at all graded assessments.
NIOL Open Badges: Successful completion of this course also earns learners a National Institute for Online Learning badge. This symbol of achievement, aligned with Mozilla Open Badges, can be stored in a learner's Mozilla Backpack for sharing across career sites, social networks, and personal portfolios. More information on Open Badges can be found at http://openbadges.org.
- Read all course materials and complete all course activities
- You must complete the course with all required test scores of 70% or greater