The Technology of Online Learning
Access Time: 30 Days
This course from MindEdge Learning's National Institute for Online Learning (NIOL) offers a brief survey of the technology employed in online learning. It reviews the key software and hardware options available, and it covers best practices in using technology.
The National Institute of Online Learning (NIOL), founded in 2012, seeks to improve the quality and effectiveness of online learning, especially for adult learners, by promoting best practices and innovation in the field.
Preview a few course pages by clicking through the slideshow below:
After completing this module, you should be able to:
- Discuss the significance of technology in enabling online learning.
- Define basic information technology (IT) terms and concepts as they apply to creating, delivering, and hosting online learning.
- Explain how a learning management system (LMS) functions and how it enables online learning.
- Outline the key issues (bandwidth, browser and plug-in compatibility, etc.) involved in delivering online learning over the Internet.
- Discuss the use of video in online learning.
- Explore the key technology issues in developing and delivering online learning to mobile devices (m-learning).
- Explain the methods used for integrating online learning into learning platforms, including SCORM, LTI, and Tin Can API.
- Describe the common IT challenges involved in online learning.
- Outline key questions about technology and online learning that organizations should ask.
Target Audience: This course is designed for those seeking an overview and introduction to the technology of online learning.
Level/Prerequisites: Introductory/No Prerequisites
Estimated time to complete: 2 hours
Ask the Expert: This course has an "Ask the Expert" feature, which submits your questions directly to an expert in the field you are studying. Questions are answered as quickly as possible and usually within 24 hours.
Required Materials: This course does not require any additional purchases of supplementary materials.
Successful Completion Requirement for IACET CEU: Learners must achieve an average test score of at least 70% to meet the minimum successful completion requirement and qualify to receive IACET CEU credit. Learners will have three attempts at all graded assessments.
NIOL Open Badges: Successful completion of this course also earns learners a National Institute for Online Learning badge. This symbol of achievement, aligned with Mozilla Open Badges, can be stored in a learner's Mozilla Backpack for sharing across career sites, social networks, and personal portfolios. More information on Open Badges can be found at http://openbadges.org.
- Read all course materials and complete all course activities
- You must complete the course with all required test scores of 70% or greater